“To awaken the people, it is the women who must be awarded. Once she is on the move, the family moves, the village moves, the nation moves.”
(Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru)
Empowering of women should start from the very roots of the path of greater development with the rebuilding of trust, safety and respect for them in their own nation. The first step to empower women in India is to kill the evil thinking of the societal norms such female feticide, women harassment, rape, prostitution and dowry system. To ensure the basic rights of equality mentioned in the constitution of India, the assurance of women empowerment is effective outreach. The awareness towards women empowerment should be spread from childhood because the first step towards a better education starts from ones own home.
Indian government and Ministry of Women & Child Development has introduced various plans for the Women Empowerment in India, few of the many are mentioned below:
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhaobasically focuses on the thinking of the people towards female feticide and insuring their stability towards female education.
- Women Helpline Scheme provides one single number where every woman can file their complaint against any violence or crime faced by them. Under this scheme women can dial 181 to file their complaint anywhere in the country.
- Ujjawalaa scheme for Prevention of Trafficking and Rescue, mainly focuses on Rehabilitation and Reintegration of Victims of Trafficking and Commercial Sexual Exploitation.
- NIRBHAYA FUNDis a government set up fund, specifically designed to improve the safety and security of women. It’s a non- lapsable corpus fund, being administered by the Department of Economic Affairs and Ministry of Finance.
- STEP(Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women), aims at providing skills that give employability and competencies that enable women to become self- employed.
- Mahila Shakti Kendrasit spreads awareness between the rural women by involving community participation and to create an environment in which they realize their full potential.
- SWADHAR GREHis a scheme that provides temporary accommodations, maintenance and rehabilitative services to women who face issues like homeless situations, extreme poverty, mental stress and prostitution.
In conclusion to this, acknowledging the fact that women have reached at the top and are achieving immense success by becoming the president, prime minister, lawyer and doctor of India but still there are numerous women who need our cooperation and support. The need for the education, freedom for work, safety, social freedom and respect is still a very necessary step towards women emancipation. So, concentrating on the importance of Women Empowerment, it is equally necessary to be aware of the fact that socio-economic progress of the nation depends upon the complete socio-economical progress of the women of the country.